Image by Matt Howard

Leading Voices in Global Sustainability

Powered by Petrichor Planet

Ben Armstrong

Ben Armstrong

Managing Director, atiyah

10 Questions to Change The World

February 2022

How do you think climate change and the global sustainability agenda will
impact your industry over the next 3-5 years?

It will have a positive impact on both climate change and its associated biodiversity loss. From the emissions released during livestock production to the water used in the food supply chain and to the food waste generated along the way.

What have you observed as being the biggest issues for organisations ability
to transform into a more sustainable operation?

When I speak with organisation leaders about our sustainable journey – the common issues is the know- how, access to the right resources and the biggest pain point is cost.

Hopefully I continue to lead the way in sustainable hospitality while inspiring others to join my quest to build a sustainable food industry future both here in Australia and globally.

Why have you embraced sustainability in your professional career?

I am extremely passionate about the environment and climate change. I have to lead the way in my industry to make the biggest contribution towards a sustainable future.

What are some of the wins you have achieved in your career to date?

You must be extremely passionate and dedicated. It is not easy being
sustainable – but the reward is huge.

atiyah launched in November 2020 as the first certified carbon neutral hospitality business in Australia.

What do you want to have achieved before you retire?

I will never retire. Hopefully I continue to lead the way in sustainable hospitality while inspiring others to join my quest to build a sustainable food industry future both here in Australia and globally. 

What advice would you give for organisations looking to start or advance on their sustainability journey?

I get my inspiration when I give talks to students from the younger generation. Their passion and motivation to make a positive impact on climate action is inspiring. And my awesome team inspires me every day to be innovative and continue to grow.

We don’t need one person – we need everyone leading by making a positive impact on their environmental footprint and a valuable contribution to the 17 United Nations Sustainability Development Goals.

You must be extremely passionate and dedicated. It is not easy being sustainable – but the reward is huge.

Who do you go to for inspiration in this space?

PHOTO-2022-02-23-15-27-01.jpg

- The team at atiyah's opening -

How do you offset your own footprint?

We have reduced our carbon emissions by 73% from the sustainable strategies we have implemented. We offset the remaining 27% in Clean Energy Generations in Gujarat, India.

What is your one ‘guilty / non-eco’ pleasure? (that you can’t live without)

Take away coffee cups. However I put them through our compostable service (Dehydrator) at one of our kitchen turning it into nutrient rich soil.

If you had to choose one person to lead the world in sustainability, who would it be and why?

We don’t need one person – we need everyone leading by making a positive impact on their environmental footprint and a valuable contribution to the 17 United Nations Sustainability Development Goals.

green.jpg

Are you our next Leading Voice?

If you have a story to tell, we want to tell it…

logo-PetrichorPlanet-16_edited.png

"If working apart we are a force powerful enough to destabilise our planet, surely working together we are powerful enough to save it. In my lifetime I have witnessed a terrible decline. In yours you could - and should - see a wonderful recovery.”

 

-​ Sir David Attenborough